Saturday, August 11, 2007

Tiger Ties Major Record With 63 [David Stefanini]

I don't care what anyone says, on Friday Tiger Woods was unbeatable.

He had a 15-foot putt on the 18th hole that would have given him a 62 on the day. A 62 is the equivalent of hitting 5 home runs in one game, or scoring 100 points in an NBA Game. No one has ever shot a 62 in a major before.

The 15-foot putt looked perfect, it was rolling right to the cup, it even went into the cup, and then unexpectedly came out. Leaving Tiger with a 63 on the day and a tie of the major record.

Here is Bob Harig with more:

The world's No. 1 golfer was no doubt in disbelief, but there was no way he was going to bemoan a 63 that left him at 6-under, the leader by two strokes at the midway point of the 89th PGA Championship.

"I hit a good putt. And I thought I made it," said Woods, who described his initial reaction as "mad" but did so with a smile on his face. "It would have been nice to have gotten a record and got a three-shot lead going into the weekend.

"But the good thing is I hit a good putt. And that's the important part. It just didn't go in."

Sergio Garcia would have cursed the heavens and Rory Sabbatini would have taken it as a sign that Woods is beatable.

Entering today Tiger is 6 under par and has a 2 shot lead over Scott Verplank. If I was a beating man, I would have to say Tiger is the favorite to win the PGA Championship. Wait, you guys didn't need me to tell you that?

Labels: , , ,