Saturday, May 20, 2006

And Just Where Was I Flying? [J. Mark English]

To the Crescent City, the great city of New Orleans, where I am to be the Godfather of my Niece, Maria Ann English. Today is also a historical day because the people of this city are electing a mayor. Here is the latest...
Voters were deciding Saturday whether incumbent Mayor Ray Nagin or challenger Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu should oversee this city's long recovery from Hurricane Katrina - one of the largest reconstruction projects in U.S. history.
Whoever wins the election takes office a day before the June 1 start of the next hurricane season in a city where streets are still strewn with rusting, mud-covered cars and entire neighborhoods consist of homes that are empty shells.
"I want the city to come back," said 61-year-old Alice Howard, an evacuee who returned by bus from Houston to cast her ballot. "This is my city. This is home to me. ... I want to make sure the correct person takes care of home."
Howard and 250 other evacuees wearing "Displaced Voter" T-shirts were greeted by a jazz band at a City Hall rally with Nagin and Landrieu.
The candidates embraced when they met, reflecting the civil tone of a race where there has been little disagreement on the major issues: the right of residents to rebuild in all areas and the urgent need for federal aid for recovery and the best possible levee protection.