Tuesday, July 11, 2006

All-Star Final: A.L. 3, N.L. 2; But MLB Real Winner [J. Mark English]

Think back to the year 2002, when the All-Star game went 11 innings, and ended in a 7-7 tie. The comic book guy from the Simpsons might say "worst game ever". All the players were used up, some were flying before the game was even over.

Four years later, 2006, bottom of the ninth, the score is 3-2, and Mariano Rivera is on the mound. Beltran makes it to first on a tight play, nearly pulling his groin in the process. Up comes Ryan Howard, and the benches from both sides are on their feet watching with anticipation.

As a Mets fan all I can think of is this could be a possible World Series game 6 & 7 at Shea is on the line. And when the American League gets the final two outs I find myself crushed.

I'm jealous of the American League. I envy that they can man handle the National League in interleague play, and in the All-Star game.

Many will criticize the All-Star game format...but its making a come back to becoming a meaningful game. I care again about the game. That's an accomplishment.