Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Oscar Picks [J. Mark English]

Well who ever I pick to win an Oscar, is probably going to be disappointed. If my past predictions indicate anything, its that who ever I pick will not wind up winning. Remember the Super Bowl? I picked the Bears to beat the Colts. Eh, hem...we all know how that turned out.

Anyway, here we go with my futile predictions.
  • Best Picture - I've seen all the movies in this category with the exception of 'Babel'. I was moved by 'Letters from Iwo Jima', and if you haven't seen it, it offers a great perspective of what that Japanese went through during the war. But the growing consensus seems to be that 'Little Miss Sunshine' will win. Its a charming movie, that uses story telling to advance a plot, as opposed to computer graphics. My call for this category would have to be 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
  • Best Actor - Again I didn't see some movies in this category. I did not see either 'Venus' with Peter O'Toole, or Ryan Gosling who stars in 'Half Nelson'. The sympathy vote should go to Peter O'Toole, whom should he not win tonight, will break the record for most amount of nominations without winning the award. Of the movies I did see, Forest Whitaker was by far and away the best. My vote would go for Whitaker, but I'd like to see O'Toole come away with his first Oscar.
  • Best Actress - If Helen Mirren does not win for her role as Queen Elizabeth II in the 'Queen', then there is something seriously wrong with the Academy. Mirren wins this hands down.
  • Best Supporting Actor - How in the world does Mark Wahlberg get a nomination? I mean he was funny, but this is a weak role to get picked for. I loved 'The Departed', but not because of Wahlberg. This is a weak group of actors, but if I had to pick I'd go with Jackie Earle Haley as the winner from the picture 'Little Children'. Its a creepy movie, but also a provocative look at suburban life.
  • Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson of 'Dreamgirls' should win. Not bad for someone who didn't even make it to the final two in American Idol. She may not be an American Idol, but she very well may be an Oscar winner. And the girl can sing.
  • Best Director - Once again the sympathy vote should be a factor. How many times now has Martin Scorsese missed out on Best Director. He should have won it for 'Goodfellas'. 'The Departed' brought back the magic of 'Goodfellas' and should net him an elusive Oscar.
I'll stop here, and let y'all enjoy the show. Hopefully I'll get at least one of these predictions right! If I get them all right, maybe I'll drop this blog and start up an entertainment blog.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,