Sunday, September 02, 2007

I Love the Yankees [Karol Sheinin]*

The last time I attended a Yankees-Red Sox match-up, I ran into Stephen Spruiell and Nathan Goulding. Nate was furtively wearing a Red Sox hat for which Stephen and I mocked him pretty mercilessly.

Last night, finding myself again at a Yankees-Red Sox game, I texted the National Review boys to see if they too were attending the game. They both texted back that they were not and Nate added "I wish". The score at that point was Yankees 2, Red Sox 0, so I texted back "look at the score, I'm not sure you do." This was enough to rile up the Sox fan to offer me a $10 bet that they win the game. Easiest ten bucks I ever did make.

We sat in front of this incredibly loud and obnoxious Red Sox chick. Peter, aka the nicest guy in the whole world, delivered the funniest line of the night when he said in a perfect Boston accent "wow, she's wicked annoying."

We ran into my friend Sam The Dealer (we should maybe add the word "poker" into his moniker as otherwise it's an unfortunate acronym and also makes him sound like a drug dealer) who works at Yankee Stadium but roots against the Yanks. Dirty Mets fans.

A million years ago, I read my brother a Thomas Wolfe quote "All things on earth point home in old October; sailors to sea, travellers to walls and fences, hunters to field and hollow and the long voice of the hounds, the lover to the love he has forsaken" and asked him what he thought it was about. He was maybe nine years old at the time and answered that it sounded like it was about baseball, all things pointing home in old October, walls and fences, field, etc. It's not, of course, but it's nice to imagine that's what Wolfe meant. May all things for the Yankees point home in old October.

*This was a guest post from Karol Sheinin of Alarming News

Labels: , , , , ,