Friday, February 16, 2007

Celebrities Weigh in on Daytona 500 [J. Mark English]

I have to go with a sentimental favorite and a driver long overdue for the big win: Bobby Labonte. - Lance Armstrong

I think my husband is going to win. - Ingrid Vandebosch, Jeff Gordon's wife

I'll go with Kasey Kahne because he is the local boy from Seattle. - Matt Hasselbeck Quarterback, Seattle Seahawks

How can I go with anybody but Jimmie Johnson? He has the same name as me. - Jimmy Johnson, NFL & College Football Championship Coach / FOX Analyst

Dale Jr., because there will be a sea of red at Daytona International Speedway willing him to the front of the draft. -Howie Mandel

I think Jeff Gordon will win. He's been really consistent over the years and he's always been one of the Top-10 racers-and I think he's going to pull it off. - Jonathan Vilma Linebacker, New York Jets

My colleagues and I recently had the pleasure of welcoming Jimmie Johnson to the Capitol to congratulate him on his success as NASCAR Champion. He is a gifted athlete, a great ambassador for the sport of NASCAR, and my pick to win the Daytona 500. - Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House

Kurt Busch...I've been following him since I moved to Charlotte and I've also had the chance to meet him and think he's in it for all the right reasons. He's all about winning. - Adam Morrison Forward, Charlotte Bobcats

Jeff Gordon is my man. He is always driving at the top of his game. I see Jeff adding another Daytona trophy to his HUGE trophy case. - Steve Harvey, host of the nationally syndicated radio show The Steve Harvey Morning Show

I think Jimmie Johnson will win the Daytona 500 because he's the man. - Desmond Howard, Superbowl XXXI MVP and 1991 Heisman Trophy Winner

No, I don't really have a prediction but I'm sure it'll be a great race. - O.J. Simpson, NFL Hall of Famer

Jimmie Johnson: He follows our program and comes to games now and then, and his wife is a Sooner. - Bob Stoops, head football coach, University of Oklahoma

The only Daytona 500 I went to, Sterling Marlin was the winner and he won in the Kodak car. I always liked him as a driver and he's going to win this year! - Keith Hernandez, Former New York Mets first baseman and current Mets broadcaster

I pull for Jeff Gordon because he is a San Francisco 49ers fan and I am showing him the same support he showed the 49ers. - Dwight Clark, Former San Francisco 49ers receiver, Infamous for "The Catch"

Jeff Gordon will win the Great American race and be back on top in 07. - Nicole Vaidisova, #5 in the 2007 WTA Tour

As a native of Daytona Beach, I'm always excited to see a safe and entertaining race that will make sports fans want to return to Daytona year after year. Of course, I'm going with Mark Martin, a resident of Daytona Beach. - Vince Carter Guard-Forward, New Jersey Nets

I personally think that Sterling Marlin is going to be the man to beat at the "Daytona 500" this year. Simply said, he is going to win it!!Sterling knows how to live life like he's got nothing to lose. He's got a real heavy foot, the heart of a warrior and he loves to have fun. Don't hurt a thing that he's driving a Chevy and he's proven over again he knows how to win on this track. And that's why my friend Sterling is gonna win the "Daytona 500. - Big Kenny of "Big and Rich" Grammy Nominated Country Duo

I am going with Tony Raines to win this year's Daytona 500 because of the great team owners he drives for and because my guitar tech knows his crew chief. -Brad Paisley, Country Music star (2006 CMA Album of the Year -- "Time Well Wasted")

I thought all the freaks, misfits, and outcasts lived in the Rock and Roll world, but after the great time we had when NASCAR came to New York in the fall, I know they're alive and well in racing world as well. And while I can't predict who will win Daytona, I have a special place in my heart for the Richard Childress Racing Team. - Steven Van Zandt, actor, rock and roll legend

Clint Bowyer will win. Those other guys, Dale and Jeff - they know what they gotta do if they think their kneecaps are helpful in their careers. - Steve Schirripa, actor (Bobby Bacalla on The Sopranos)

Casey Mears has a new team, new car, a winning crew chief and something to prove. He will win it. - Gilbert Arenas All-Star Guard, Washington Wizards

This is Dale Earnhardt's year. He's had success at this track many times and is motivated. It certainly helps that he is in the final year of his contract. - Scottie Pippen, Former Chicago Bulls Forward-Guard

Looking at years past, I like the DEI cars, mainly now, Dale Jr. I also like the Hendrick teams, mainly Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. But you can never count out Tony Stewart with the way he finished up last year. If I were going to pick one for Daytona, it would be Junior. With all that's going on with him at DEI, he will try to make a statement. - David Akers Kicker, Philadelphia Eagles

Labels: , , , , , , , ,