Thursday, July 26, 2007

Quotable Schilling on Bonds; McGwire [J. Mark English]

Curt Schilling from my point of view is the Jack Bauer of baseball. Beyond the resemblance between him and Kiefer Sutherland, he is one hell of gutsy guy just like Jack. Who will ever forget his "heroic" (which must go in quotations since as Terry Francona the Red Sox manager says, the real heroes are over in Iraq) performance against the Yankees in game 6 of the ALCS when he shut down the Bombers despite a bloody ankle.

Guts and glory spilled some of his heat in the way of words today on ESPN's Jim Rome show. Catch some of the venom that he unleashed on Bonds and McGwire:

Curt Schilling says that Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire's refusals to address accusations of steroids use are tantamount to admissions.

"If someone wrote that stuff about me and I didn't sue their [butt] off, am I not admitting that there's some legitimacy to it?" he said on HBO's "Costas Now."

When asked about Schilling's remarks before the Giants played the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday night, Bonds responded: "Don't worry, my day will come.''

Schilling said "this will be the steroids era forever" and proposed that Jose Canseco and Rafael Palmeiro should be punished for steroids use.

"Jose Canseco admitted he cheated his entire career," Schilling said. "Everything he ever did should be wiped clean. I think his MVP should go back and should go to the runner-up."

As for Palmeiro, Schilling said: "The year he tested positive, nothing he did that year should count, which I think would take away 3,000 hits for him."

Schilling discussed accusations by Bonds' former mistress, Kimberly Bell, who testified before a grand jury that Bonds told her of his steroid use in 2000. She also said Bonds gave her $80,000 in cash to buy a house, the proceeds of which allegedly came from a paid autograph session that authorities also are investigating as going unreported to the Internal Revenue Service.

"If I wrote a book about Bob Costas and in that book I wrote about Bob Costas' girlfriend being on the road, and Bob Costas giving that girlfriend card show money and I outlined your daily steroid regimen, I've got to believe your first line of defense is to sue my [butt] off," Schilling said.

"It goes to the Mark McGwire thing in Congress. I mean, I'm a huge Mark McGwire fan. But I just always thought it was very simple: If you did something and someone asks you if you did it and you didn't do it, you say no. Any other answer than no is some form of yes, isn't it?

Labels: , , , , , , ,