Sunday, September 30, 2007

Mets Win, Phillies Lose, Setting Up A Great Final Day [David Stefanini]

What a roller coaster ride it has been this month being a Mets fan. Entering this month I thought for certain I would be taking my girlfriend to a Mets playoff game this year. In the middle of the month I found myself saying, its ok they will turn on the jets and start pulling away any day now. I was upset that the Mets allowed the Phillies to shrink the lead down to 2 games. Right now, at the end of the month, I am overjoyed that they have pulled even with the Phillies, a predicament I never thought I'd be happy about. With the Mets 13-0 victory today and the Phillies loss to the Nats 4-2, the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies enter the final day of the regular season with identical records.

The scenario is simple when it comes down to the NL East. If the Mets win and the Phillies lose, the Mets are in; and visa-versa for the Phillies. If they both win/lose, then a one game playoff will be played on Monday at Philadelphia to determine the champion.

Tomorrow, the Mets will send Tom Glavine to the mound in the biggest situation of the season. Glavine, who is coming off two sub-par performances, will look to beat Dontrelle Willis. Willis, who has been a great disappointment this season has an ERA of 5.4, and hasn't looked right since the beginning of last season. Hopefully, the Mets can jump on him early and give Glavine the run support he will need.

Labels: , , ,