Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rudy is a...Red Sox Fan?? [J. Mark English]

Former NYC Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, whom is running for President, and is an die-hard Yankee fan, has publicly stated that he will root for the Boston Red Sox in the World Series according to the New York Post:

Rudy's turned red -- and that's sure to have Yankees fans feeling blue.

Even though many New Yorkers are still mourning the Yankees' defeat by the Cleveland Indians two weeks ago during the playoffs, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani today declared his allegiance to Boston Red Sox, and said he'd root for them in the World Series against the Colorado Rockies.

"I'm rooting for the Red Sox," the Republican presidential contender said in response to a question, sparking applause at the Boston restaurant where he was picking up a local endorsement.

"I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets," he said. "Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn't because I'm loyal to New York."

Comment -

I see where he is coming from, but I beg to differ. When the Philadelphia Eagles were in the Super Bowl a few years ago against the Patriots, I was not inclined to root for them just because they came from the NFC East (keep in mind I'm a Giants fan). Contrary to hoping the Eagles won, I wanted them to lose. The last thing I wanted to see was a championship parade going down Broad Street.

Why would Rudy want to see another parade in Boston, if he is such a big time Yankees fan? You'd think he rather have that happen 2,000 miles away in Denver where he wouldn't be constantly reminded about it during the entire off season and into next year.

Also, you'd think it would be politically advantageous for him to show favor to the Colorado Rockies. He stands much more of a chance of winning Colorado in a national election then Massachusetts. Showing last minute support for the Red Sox in the World Series, will show him as more of a flip-flopper in the New England states, most notably New Hampshire. Seriously, this was a dumb move on Rudy's part.

Labels: , , ,