Monday, April 23, 2007

A-Rod Hits 2 More: When is Enough, Enough? [David Stefanini]

Is Alex Rodriguez serious? I am watching the Yankee game right now and in the 9th inning, with a runner on first A-Rod comes up and with one swing of the bat cuts a 4 run lead down to 2. This wasn't even his first homer of the night, it was his second. With his second home run of the night he pushes his total to #14, that is more than eight TEAMS.

I am sort of tired about writing about this. Similarly the analysts on Baseball Tonight are also, they are just laughing at the numbers A-Rod is putting up. They are sitting, looking at each other with dumb-founded looks on their faces. I also, am at a lost for words right now, the scariest part about this is what if he doesn't slow down? As one analyst has pointed out, what if he stays on this pace and gets up near an 80, 90 home run count? Sure we are getting ahead of ourselves, but right now he is hitting anything thrown at any part of the plate. What are we going to do if he gets close to 80, is that even imaginable?

When I saw him hit his first of the night I told myself I was not going to write about it, because this site has written plenty about A-Rod this season and has been a big supporter of him. However he went 4-5 with 2 HR, 3 RBI, and 4 RUNS. Those numbers and his performance made me right about him. But I had an idea while I was writing this, why not let him try to pitch? The Yanks can not pitch for their lives right now, why not use A-Rod? He is doing everything else right and can he really do worse than any other pitcher on the staff right now? He can't do anything wrong and is on a world of his own, why not let the man try to record a few outs for the team?

My final point of the night is this: is A-Rod worth the money? He is getting around 25 million a year. Now that is a lot of money for anybody but consider this, entering tonight the Angels had 12 home runs as a team. Their payroll is over $109 million and A-Rod is out producing the entire team. So is A-Rod worth the money, yes.

Labels: , , ,