Thursday, February 08, 2007

Worst Bet Ever? [J. Mark English]

From ESPN.com:

How do you spell Scott Wiese?

In a few weeks, that'd be P-e-y-t-o-n M-a-n-n-i-n-g.

Wiese, a die-hard fan of the
Chicago Bears, signed a pledge in front of a crowd at a Decatur bar last Friday night that if the Bears lost Sunday's Super Bowl, he'd change his name to that of the man who led the Indianapolis Colts to victory.

Final score: Colts 29, Bears 17.

So Tuesday, Wiese went to the Macon County Courts Facility and started the process of changing his name.

"I made the bet, and now I've got to keep it," the 26-year-old Wiese said.

Wiese will have to advertise his intention in the local newspaper -- the Herald & Review -- for several weeks and then have a judge give him the OK to become, legally anyway,
Peyton Manning.

The men have little in common, Wiese acknowledges.

Manning is 30 years old, stands 6-foot-5 and has a contract with the Colts worth more than $100 million.

Wiese is 5-foot-11 and works at an office-supply store for somewhat less.

"I think I kind of represent all Bears fans," he said. "Not that I'm saying they're all idiots like me, but I represent their passion because I really care about my team, you know?"'


Comments -

I'm sure there have been bets worse then this, but thats pretty sad to have live out the rest of your life with the very name of the person that killed your teams hope. But talk about gumption for sticking with the convictions of his bet.

I have an existing ongoing bet with my friend from Philly. If the Eagles win the Super Bowl, I have to die my hair green for a weeks time. If the Giants win, he must die his hair blue. As we get older, and work demands much more serious repose, I'm not sure if we can keep up with the pressure of this bet. He currently works in the West Wing...not sure how White House officials would deal with a blue hair kid walking into Executive Office Building...

Be that as it may, I hope Peyton Manning of Chicago lives out the rest of his life in peace...

Labels: , ,